- AVS, founded in 1991, is a private non-profit organisation whose primary mission is to monitor halal meat. Our role is to guarantee the halal nature of the meat, to inform consumers, and to direct them towards the retail outlets whose meat products comply with our specifications.
- In other words, AVS is a service provider in the field of halal certification of meat products for slaughterhouses, MPP (Meat Processing Plants), butcher’s shops and restaurants. We carry out the halal certification process on behalf of all producers and shopkeepers who entrust us with guaranteeing the halal nature of their products.
- AVS is an independent and autonomous association. We receive no funding either from the State or any other organisations. Furthermore, our associative status prevents us from distributing any potential profits to the AVS directors. Instead, we plough any profits back into the organisation, which is dedicated to serving the Muslim community.
- AVS practices slaughtering without stunning, as allowed by national and European legislation, which safeguards the freedom of religious communities to chose their methods of ritual slaughter.
- The slaughter, inspection and certification of halal meat and other meat products are the only activities undertaken by AVS. We do not certify any other consumer products.
- We have always refused to engage in commercial activities in order to preserve our neutrality and devote ourselves fully to halal certification. As a result, AVS does not produce, distribute or sell any meat, nor do we own any slaughterhouses, factories, butcher’s shops or restaurants.
- In addition to the certification of meat products, AVS has for many years undertaken educational and awareness raising work on the concept of « halal » and on Islamic ethics applied to consumption and animal welfare.